Two years ago today my life changed forever!! Now I know Jessica's birthday isn't until tomorrow but this minute in Australia was when she was born. She arrived by surprise 4 weeks early and only weighing 5 lbs 12 oz and a mere 18.5 inches long. After a whole week of being in the hospital (due to her being treated for jaundice) we were sent home with this little baby and no idea what to do with her. She slept a lot the first few weeks but once that wore off and she "woke up" (anyone who has had babies knows what I mean by that) she began to cry.
From what we read she was a "high needs" baby. She cried A LOT!!! She ate a lot too because she that was the only way to get her to stop crying. That was good though since she was so small she needed to start putting on weight so I fed her any time she started crying. The schedule that we ended up with was feeding her every 2 hours day and night. As you can imagine that did not leave much time for me to sleep. It went on like that until she was 6 months old when she finally got her own room. She went from waking up every 2 hours to sleeping for 12 hours in one night. I thought it was wonderful that she was sleeping but it made for an incredibly painful morning for me since I was used to nursing her all night long. I was quite full to overflowing and in a lot of pain. That was also about the time we started giving her rice cereal and baby food which really changed her temperament. She went from crying all the time to a happy, very sweet baby.
She has really grown the past 2 years physically and mentally. She surprises me every day saying things I didn't know she knew how to say. She has become a very funny, silly, sweet, smart and beautiful little girl! I tell her every day how much I love her and a couple days ago she walked up to me sat in my lap and said "I love you mommy". It was the sweetest 4 words I have ever heard! Being a mom has been the most exhausting, frustrating, fun, rewarding and fulfilling thing I have ever done and I wouldn't change it for anything in the world!
Here are some fun facts about Jessica so far:
• She loves Dora the Explorer bordering on obsession. One of the first things she says some mornings when we get her out of bed is "Dora TV"or she will just yell "Swiper".
• Lately her favorite thing to say is "I'll do it" when we want to do something for her like put her coat on, get a book to read to her, or get her shoes.
• She likes to brush her own teeth and doesn't want help from us to do it.
• She can put on her own sandals, and she even puts them on the correct feet.
• If she could choose to eat only one thing for the rest of her life it would be cheese.
• She loves to dance!
• When we ask her if she is ready to go to bed her response is always "all done".
• When I ask her what she wants to do her response is exactly the same every day "swings and slide".
• The longest sentence she has said so far is 4 words long.
Here is her first 2 years of life in pictures:
Day of Birth
1 Month Old
2 Months Old
3 Months Old
4 Months Old
5 Months Old
6 Months Old
7 Months Old
8 Months Old
9 Months Old
10 Months Old
11 Months Old
12 Months Old
13 Months Old
14 Months Old
15 Months Old
16 Months Old
17 Months Old
18 Months Old
19 Months Old
20 Months Old
21 Months Old
22 Months Old
23 Months Old
24 Months Old